Neyland Environment Group

On Saturday 23rd March, Neyland Environment Group joined forces with West Wales Rivers Trust for the Big River Clean Up.  Eight or so volunteers collected rubbish from Wear Point, Church Lakes, Neyland Vale, Neyland Yacht Club and Brunel Quay.  Afterwards, Emma Withers from the Rivers Trust explained their new Adopt a Tributary project over a well-earned bowl of soup at the St Clements Souper Saturday.

If anyone would like to find out more about Adopt a Tributary, please get in touch with Emma by email: emma@westwalesriverstrust.org

Thanks to everyone who helped with the Big River Clean Up yesterday.  I’m attaching some information from Emma Withers at the West Wales Rivers Trust about a new project that we could get involved with.  There’s an app to download and some basic recording we can do when going out for a walk by a stream / river.  Emma would be happy to show us how it works at a local stream in the next few weeks, so do let me know if you’re interested.

Best wishes

Mary

Adopt a Tributary

Adopt a Tributary is a project that aims to gain visual oversight of the waterways across West Wales. With much of the country composed of freshwater, this isn’t a task West Wales Rivers Trust can do alone. Therefore, we rely on our individuals like you to be the eyes and ears on the ground to protect our rivers. 

WWRT have a surveying app that allows visual data to be collected by citizens. This data then feeds into a WWRT background database, which WWRT can use to inform our priorities for where work is done and projects are held. 

Within the project, our local Community Engagement Officers are hosting community events all over their county with the aim to educate, entertain and empower people to promote the protection and enjoyment of our rivers. 

Workshops and events include, but are not limited to:

  • Community talks
  • Film nights
  • Litter picks
  • Invasive species removal 
  • Species monitoring training
  • Community walks
  • Family fun days

There are no commitments for volunteering, we just ask that you use the app as often as possible to record sightings. You’ll be invited to all our volunteering events, and you can pick and choose which you attend.  

How to download the form and apppage1image2993313152

Please note: all pollution incidents should be reported to Natural Resources Wales in the first instance on their 24/7 freephone hotline: 03000 65 3000. This form does not replace incident reports, but WWRT would be pleased to receive uploads of these on this form once they have been reported to NRW.

You do not need to create an account or log in to use this app, instead:
Once the app is downloaded, go to your web browser on your device and enter the following link:

https://survey123.arcgis.app?itemID=1aa50dadba6d4ca7bb319faa46f2255a

This should then open the app – click ‘continue without signing in’, allow permissions, and you are all set to record information in the field!

Alternatively, you can follow the link directly on your desktop to upload data (although on site provides more accurate locations!).

Neyland Community Hub

Neyland Community Hub now offer weekly sessions for anyone who wants to get out and about and see a friendly face. We run Bingo from 1.30 – 4 on Monday afternoons, come along for a bit of fun.  On Wednesday afternoons, 2-4pm, we run a Coffee and a Chat group.  We often play a board game, do a jigsaw, or just have a chat and a cuppa.  A small charge applies.

Neyland Community Hub is also now registered with Day Opportunities Pembrokeshire. The aim of Day Opportunities is to provide a range of services in a variety of settings where people can participate in meaningful activities, build new relationships and, where required, receive care and support.  

Quiz Night Thursday 21st March

We will be upstairs in the Hub at the usual time of 7 for 7.30pm. This month we are supporting ASD Family Help, a great charity that offers support, advice & activities for autistic & neurodiverse individuals or those with learning disabilities (plus their parents, carers or professionals) within Pembrokeshire. Donations of raffle prizes will be very greatly received.

We all need Friends

Llanstadwell is an historic parish church serving an area of over 3000 acres containing 4000 souls. It has been a holy place for 1500 years. Its setting is typical of an ancient Celtic site with easy access to the waterway yet discreetly hidden from the open sea and the attention of raiders. The word LLAN is Welsh for CHURCH and Llanstadwell is a corrupt version of THE CHURCH OF ST TUDWAL, although in 1291 the name was written as Lanstowel. St Tudwal was a 6th century Bishop who was well known in Brittany and North Wales, and whose intervention was at one time invoked at times of public calamity.

In 2011, thanks to fund-raising, generous donations and grants, major restoration work was carried out on the tower and the roof of the main body of the church to ensure that it will be sound and weatherproof for many years to come.

The church of Llanstadwell, in its beautiful riverside setting, has been a place of worship and the focal point of the community for possibly 1,500 years. It is one of the few churches in the area that is open every day to anyone, locals and visitors alike. he church of Llanstadwell, in its beautiful riverside setting, has been a place of worship and the focal point of the community for possibly 1,500 years. It is one of the few churches in the area that is open every day to anyone, locals and visitors alike. 

Current rising prices and the resulting economic difficulties which we all face also affect the upkeep and use of the church. As well as insurance, energy bills and general repairs of the church building, there are costs in complying with matters of health and safety, architecture, conservation and the environment.

We need to find a way to overcome these problems, to maintain the church that we know and love. We think there are those in our local community who would share our concern. To this end we have formed a ‘Friends of St Tudwal’s, Llanstadwell’, a registered charity, which will focus on the maintenance of the church building and the grounds, raising funds for much-needed repairs, and looking at ways in which its future is secured for the local community.

The Tower

The tower is Norman, reputedly built in the reign of King Stephen (1135-54). These were times of civil war and violence, which explains its fortress like appearance. The tower was useful to ships navigating the Haven but it also served as a fighting platform for archers who fired from the battlements. 75 well-worn steps ascend the tower in a clockwise spiral facilitating defence from above by right-handed swordsmen. The tower has 3 stages and has a plain corbel table and battlements. In 2011 extensive repairs were carried out to the roof and stonework.

For centuries people entered the church by a doorway in the west wall and down a flight of steps. The top of this doorway can still be seen from the churchyard.

The belfry holds 2 bells cast in 1684. In July 2012 they were restored and rehung for stationary chiming. Church bells were reintroduced after the prohibitions of the Commonwealth and one bell is inscribed VIVAT REX (Long live the King) – probably in honour of “The Merry Monarch”. 

The Nave

The restoration work carried out in the 1850’s largely determines the character of the interior of the church. The roof and the floor were raised by 4 feet. The old roof lines can be seen in the nave and on the tower walls. New windows, the north doorway and the Victorian box-like pews were all added at this time. 

The square font of a much earlier period retains its old position near the entrance to the tower.  It holds 5 gallons of water and in earlier times would have been filled, blessed and kept locked.

Opposite the font can be seen an incised tomb slab, brought up from under the floor of the north transept, during the restoration work carried out in 2011. It is thought that this may date from the 14th century. It is badly weathered having spent a good many years outside before being left under the floor when the Victorians raised the floor level in the 1850’s.

The list of vicars is complete from 1535. However, the first was Thomas Balymore who entertained Richard II on his journey to Ireland in 1394 for which he received the handsome sum of 40 shillings to defray his expenses. In 1662 John Lunffey, Vicar of Llanstadwell, was removed from his living because he refused to comply with the Act of Uniformity and the Book of Common Prayer. On leaving the church he returned to his former trade as a hatter.

The North Transept

This is the site of an ancient transeptal chapel. As elsewhere, the floor of this section was raised 4 feet during the 19th century. Previously worshippers enjoyed an unimpeded view of the chancel sanctuary by means of a “squint” or “hagioscope”. This was a narrow oblique opening in the wall or pillar of a church, which permitted a view of the main altar from the transept. A small tunnel and the top of its archway are still visible low down on the north wall of the chancel.

The original earth floor below provided a resting place for the dead as the churchyard was then used for other, often recreational, purposes. Approximately 200 years ago burials began to be conducted in the church grounds, the oldest gravestone being dated 1802, but in less than a century there was little space remaining and in 1880 a new cemetery was consecrated in Honeyborough. In the churchyard can be found several graves of sailors belonging to HMS Blenheim, a guard ship based at Pembroke Dock and broken up in 1865. The 1861 census confirms that several sailors from the ship lived in the parish.

The lectern is fairly recent and believed to have been carved in the local dockyard.

The Chancel

The east window, by Kempe, is dedicated to the memory of those who fell in the 1914-18 War. Their names are inscribed on a brass plate in the nave. An Epiphany scene shows the Wise Men arriving in Bethlehem and illustrates the nations doing homage to Christ, the Prince of Peace. The text is from Isaiah 60.


The fine oak furnishing dates from the 1940’s but there is an ancient “piscina” or water-stoup in the south wall of the sanctuary. There is a most beautiful silver chalice (hallmarked 1599) from the reign of Elizabeth I, which is still used on important occasions, but is not on view. The chalice is inscribed in Latin “POCULUM ECCLESIE DE LAN SET WAL” (THE CHURCH CUP OF LLANSTADWELL).

Supposed traces of a “leper window” may be found outside the north wall of the chancel. In mediaeval times this allowed many sufferers from contagious diseases to view the proceedings within and to receive the sacrament without entering the church. Also on the north wall is a memorial to a long-serving incumbent, L H Rumsey, who was an Oxford graduate and was Vicar from 1873-1911. The pulpit and north door are also dedicated to the memory of his family.

The South Transept

This part of the church was built as an extension to accommodate the population explosion experienced in the parish in the 19th century when Brunel brought the Great Western railway to Neyland. The buttresses near the pulpit show the line of the original outside wall. Neyland now has its own St Clement’s church. The South transept was furnished as a Lady Chapel in the 1950’s but has recently been adapted to provide a flexible space for various activities. 

The Church Registers are in the Haverfordwest Records Office, but copies are held in the vestry and records are still maintained of every baptism, marriage and burial. The first entry records the Christening of Michael Jones in 1714. Surviving records show Baptisms (1714-1904), Marriages (1714-1892) and Burials (1714-1903).

HOLY COMMUNION 

EVERY WEDNESDAY AT 10 AM

REV. ALAN CHADWICK

THE VICARAGE 68 CHURCH ROAD

LLANSTADWELL

MILFORD HAVEN SA73 1EB

TEL: 01646 600227

alanandmarychadwick@btinternet.com

Neyland Carnival 2022

‘For the Romans bread and circuses sufficed to keep the population happy. For Neyland folks I think the return of the annual carnival, and the centenary carnival at that, went a great way to meet the same public need. The sheer creativity of the entries, whether floats or walking characters were uniformly of a really high standard and the entries were widely considered the best for many years. Along the route and on the field thousands watched the annual spectacle bathed under a hot July sun. It was the perfect day for community celebration. Enormous thanks are due to the participants, sponsors and the hard-working carnival committee under the dedicated leadership of Malcom Hawkins. The day could not have been bettered.’